Bare metal backup, as discussed in our previous blog “Bare Metal. Not One-Size-Fits-All Solution,” is a powerful tool that protects the entire hard drive and brings back the computer as it was with its data, system, and software installed. Few software solutions offer bare metal backup and restore, such as ShadowProtect from StorageCraft.
The Acronis ShadowProtect bare metal solution:
1. Takes a full and differential snapshot of the hard drive to local storage.
2. Provides customers the option to replicate the local backup to its data center for an offsite copy.
3. Mounts the image to browse and restores files in the image.
4. Restores to a physical machine or virtual machine.
ShadowProtect costs about $1,000 per copy, plus an additional fee if a customer replicates the local backup to the data center.
As we talked about the ShadowProtect bare metal solution, we have to mention Datto, which uses ShadowProtect in its appliance-based bare metal backup product. Please read our blog “Choose Between an Appliance-Based and Appliance-Free Backup Solution” to understand the differences between appliance-based and appliance-free backup solutions.
The Datto bare metal solution:
1. Takes a full and differential snapshot of the hard drive to its onsite appliance.
2. Is just starting to offer customers the option to replicate the backup on its appliance to its data center for an offsite copy.
3. Restores the server to a virtual machine inside its appliances.
We have to point out that Datto uses ShadowProtect to restore the snapshot and spins off a virtual machine in Oracle VirtualBox inside its appliance. It costs about $70 per month for a 2TB Datto appliance, with an additional cost to replicate to Datto’s data center.
The RingStor bare metal solution:
1. Takes a full and differential snapshot of the hard drive to local storage, such as NAS, a USB drive.
2. Provides customers the option to replicate to their own data center, a public cloud storage (such as Amazon S3 or Windows Azure), or an FTP site.
3. Mounts the image to browse and restore files in the image.
4. Restores to a physical machine.
5. Restores to a bootable Virtual Hard Drive (VHD) and mounts it into Oracle VirtualBox or Windows Hyper-V to spin off a virtual machine in just a few clicks.
The cost for the RingStor bare metal backup solution is $10 per month for a server, and there is no additional cost for replication.
Following is a chart that compares the RingStor, ShadowProtect, and Datto bare metal solutions:
Contact us today at (732) 520-2236 or visit us online at www.ringstor.com to learn more about how our safe, secure, and versatile cloud backup solutions can add to the efficiency and productivity of your organization.